Here we are, already at the end of the first month of 2018! I have to ask, how are those new years resolutions working out for you?
Most of us have crashed the diet, not seen the gym in two weeks, and have watched way too much Netflix. Many of us are feeling pretty low about the embarrassingly short run towards those goals we set. If that’s you, you’re not alone.
Statistics say that about 80% of us will have given up on our goals by February. Why is that? Is change really possible?
Before you completely give up on your resolutions, stop and watch this video for a do-over.
In this video I talk about new years resolutions and why they often don’t work for us, and then offer some very practical ways to better set yourself up for success moving forward into the new year.
Don’t give up on yourself and your goals just yet! We want to encourage you to re-evaluate your goals and apply some of these helpful tips so that you can see more long-lasting change in 2018.
Watch the video and read the notes below!
Why New Years Resolutions Often Don’t Work
- Our goals are too vague and too unrealistic.
- We don’t have a clearly defined plan to reach our goals.
- “All or nothing” mentalities and perfectionism discourage us.
8 Tips for Better Goal-Setting
- Make sure your goals are very clearly defined and realistic.
- Create a clear plan to reach your goals.
- Plan for setbacks and obstacles to your goals.
- Be intentional and use resources to help you stick to your plan.
- Don’t get lost in the “white noise” of planning.
- Apply the “5 second rule”.
- Accept the fact that you’re never going to feel like doing the to work required to bring change.
- Prioritize your goals.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.